Monday, September 20, 2010

The Kitchen is NOW Closed.

This morning I woke up and was really in the mood to exercise which is great because most mornings I do not feel that way. I started off with 50 minutes of cardio.
I'm the kind of person who needs to be entertained while I'm exercising. Sometimes music just doesn't do it for me. I have my treadmill in my house facing my TV which keeps me on the treadmill longer than 5 minutes! I put on one of my favorite shows (Keeping up with the Kardashians) and I am not embarrassed by this, as I also enjoy Full House and Boy Meets World! I ran as fast as I could during the actual show and then during the commercial breaks I ran up and down my stairs until it came back on. This kept me from being bored and I love changing up my workouts- otherwise I'll go nuts!
After working out I enjoyed a HUGE bowl of vanilla maple overnight oats. I would have put pumpkin, but no grocery store around me has any yet!
Now brings me to my next topic: Stress. As a college student I always have a lot of work to do. In the past this stress has led me to the kitchen MULTIPLE times as a way to procrastinate and distract myself from the unnecessary anxiety. I would do homework all day and I would not leave time for any breaks or time for fun. This eventually drove me nuts and this year I made it my TOP priority to practice balance. From now on, I not only make a list with breaks worked in, but I have a cutoff time where I stop doing work. Even if I have to remind myself to RELAX, I know this works for me. At 9:00 p.m. I put everything away. I find that when you give yourself a time where you know you'll stop working, you'll not only be more productive, but less stressed overall, which saves me tons of anxiety and not to mention CALORIES.
How do you deal with stress? Do you tend to eat as a way to procrastinate when you have things to do?

6 comments:

  1. I deal with stress by watching hilarious TV shows, going for a walk, or going to the gym. Sometimes I do eat, which is super lame! But I also do need to be entertained by music and/or TV sometimes when I work out! :) Makes it more fun right?

    http://annawalker1992.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  2. I totally eat/cook to procrastinate! It's no good!!! I'm getting better at limiting myself though. I try to get everything done and THEN allow myself to play in the kitchen :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. oh yes! i used to eat to avoid things all the time. not a good thing! but i discovered that doing something i don't want to do with a big old stomach ache is way crappier than just doing something i dont want to.

    vanilla maple overnight oats = brilliant!

    ReplyDelete
  4. i love how you included your workout today :) I would love to see more of that

    ReplyDelete
  5. I try to find a balance too. As a teacher, there is more work that I could do in a day than hours allow for. So, I make an effort not to bring work home. This is hard, and most deifnitely does NOT work all the time, but I have a whole other "line of duty" when I get home. Cook dinner, clean kitchen, do laundry, make lunches, clean kitchen, blog, relax. As much as my nights sound crazy, they sure do keep me sane.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I like the thought of having a "quit time". I think that would make me more productive as well actually.

    And I had my first bowl of pumpkin oats this morning. I was so excited! Although I must say your maple vanilla ones sound pretty dang tasty too.

    ReplyDelete